Signs of a good translator
... yes, you can spot them!
Translation is not the mechanical substitution of words. Translation is a
creative process. If it were not, translators would have been completely replaced by
machines a long time ago.
Good texts need good translators. And the signs of a good translator are easy to spot!
- Speak and write well.
- Have invested in the technology and resources that allow them to work quickly
- Are experienced and can provide professional credentials and references.
- When given all the details of a project, they can give you a fairly
accurate time and cost estimate.
- Are versatile and willing to invest time and money in learning.
- Know their capabilities and their limitations. They will not take
on a project for which they are not fully qualified.
- Ask questions. They know when to ask you about concepts or
terminology that only you can explain.